“Hospital on the Hill” chronicles the history of North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo, Miss. In the 1930s, a group of persistent and enthusiastic Tupelo area leaders convinced a nonprofit organization from New York to build a new 50-bed hospital in Tupelo. Despite the Great Depression and a devastating tornado, these leaders managed to raise $35,505 as the local share of the Commonwealth Fund hospital project.
That small hospital located on a hill on the outskirts of Tupelo has grown to a regional medical center that serves 24 counties and received numerous national awards and recognition, including the 2006 Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and is part of NMHS, which received the award in 2012.
We are thankful for the foresight that those community leaders showed for our town and this region, and are deeply appreciative of the opportunity to serve this area’s health care needs.
Click the link below to follow the hospital’s growth since its opening in 1937.
Hospital on the Hill: The History Of Medical Care From Tupelo Hospital Through North Mississippi Medical Center