How to Set Attainable Goals
Packed on a few extra pounds? Less active than usual? Now is a great time to set some goals for this year. Here are some tips:
A new year means a fresh start. Set some goals and get to work. You will be surprised at what you can do!
- Set a specific goal. “Lose weight” as a goal is too vague. A more specific goal would be to lose 5-10% of my current body weight. What exactly do you want to achieve and how? Why do you want it? If you do not make the goal measurable, you will not know when you have reached it. Whether it is pounds or inches lost or how your clothes fit, setting a measurable goal is the key to achieving it.
- Set an attainable goal. Losing 5-10% of body weight is an attainable goal for most people. Set goals that are important to you right now in your life. Setting a goal that someone else thinks is good for you will cause you to lose motivation if the goal is not also important to you.
- Make sure your goal has a timetable and an end point. Knowing you have a deadline will make the goal a priority. For example, if you choose a weight loss goal, losing one to two pounds per week is healthy when setting your timetable for your goal.
- Share your goals with friends and family. Enlist an accountability partner to help you stay on track.
- Start a journal. Writing down how you are doing will also keep you on track. This is also helpful when making future goals because you can look back and see what worked and what did not work.
- When you reach a goal, celebrate! Acknowledge the accomplishment no matter how big or small. Give yourself something to look forward to when you reach a goal.
Now, set some goals and get to work. You will be surprised at what you can do!