Packing Your Hospital Bag Before It's Time
Several weeks before your due date, you may want to pack your hospital bags so you’re ready when your labor starts!
Attach a sticky note to the outside of your bag to remind you to add things that you’ll be using up to the last minute, like your phone, charger cords, glasses/contacts and such. Below is a list of suggested items to pack for labor and delivery in a tote bag, and things to include in your postpartum bag for the Mother-Baby Unit.
We strongly encourage fathers to pack a bag and plan to spend the night in the room with mom and baby. Our Mother-Baby rooms have a club chair that makes into a cot. We will provide the linens and pillows for you. We also suggest that you leave your postpartum bag, car seat, and door decorations in the car until you have delivered and moved to the Mother-Baby unit. Only bring in your Labor and Delivery tote with items you’ll want during labor.
Labor & Delivery bag:
- Phone with charger cords
- Camera with charger cords
- Favorite pillow in a colorful pillowcase (not white)
- Focal point picture, handheld fan, sock with tennis balls for massage, birthing ball if desired
- Snacks for coach/support person
- Hair ties for long hair
- Socks for cold feet!
- Toiletries/make up/lip balm
- Phone call list
- Music playlist
Mother-Baby Unit (postpartum) bag:
- 2-3 nightgowns (nursing gowns if breastfeeding) or pajama sets
- Slippers and robe
- Nursing bras
- Clothes for mom and baby to go home
- Receiving blanket for going home
- Car seat
NMMC Women’s Hospital provides:
- Hospital gown for mom
- Maternity panties
- All medications are provided by hospital unless specified by your health care provider
- Peanut balls for positioning in labor
- Popsicles and other clear liquids for mom during labor
- Diaper shirts, hat, blankets, diapers, wipes, and all supplies needed for baby in hospital
- Travel size toiletries and non-skid socks if needed
You may want to pack your hospital bags early so you’re ready when labor starts!