Heart Valve Care
North Mississippi Medical Center’s Valve Center in Tupelo offers the most advanced treatment available for heart valve disorders.
- Aortic stenosis and regurgitation
- Mitral stenosis and regurgitation
- Pulmonic stenosis and regurgitation
- Tricuspid stenosis and regurgitation
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Cardiac computed tomography (CT )
- Cardiac catheterization
- Balloon Valvuloplasty: This minimally-invasive procedure opens a narrowed heart valve, sometimes referred to as stenosis. The cardiologist threads a catheter with a balloon through the femoral artery and into the heart. Once in the aortic valve, the balloon is inflated, which forces the valve open so blood can flow freely again. By improving valve function and blood flow, you may avoid or delay open heart surgery and valve replacement.
- Mini-valve surgery: Cardiothoracic surgeons perform mitral valve repair/replacement or aortic valve repair/replacement through a three-inch incision. You have fewer complications, decreased blood loss and a quicker recovery.
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR): NMMC-Tupelo was the first hospital in Mississippi and west Tennessee to offer transcatheter aortic valve replacement for high-risk patients who suffer from aortic stenosis.
Heart Valve Team
You receive a comprehensive functional assessment by specialists in a convenient, outpatient setting. Our team designs a treatment plan and communicates it to you and your referring physician for ongoing care. NMMC specializes in minimally-invasive heart procedures, avoiding major surgery whenever possible. Your referring physician can access your reports through NMMC ’s electronic medical record.
A heart murmur is a sound, not a disease. While most murmurs are harmless and need little to no treatment, some heart murmurs can indicate serious heart and valve disease.
With 3D echo technology and a Valve Center that offers minimally-invasive heart valve replacement and repair, we have the expertise not only diagnose but also correct these problems.