Proper wound care is important for healing. This is especially true for diabetics. You may have a non-healing wound if it has not started to heal in two weeks or has not completely healed in six weeks.
North Mississippi Medical Center wound centers in Tupelo and Amory help patients attain optimal quality of life by promoting wound healing and by educating health care providers and patients in wound treatment and management.
The staff at both centers help to prevent and treat wound complications by performing wound assessments and establishing a plan of care for wounds that are difficult to heal.
NMMC Wound Center and Hyperbarics staff provides care for patients who have been referred by a primary care physician and do not need hospitalization, those who need ongoing treatment and patient education following discharge from the hospital, or by self-referral.
Each Wound Center and Hyperbarics patient will:
- Receive a comprehensive wound assessment
- Be able to demonstrate and verbalize proper care for the wound
- Receive ongoing wound care as needed
- Receive continuing education regarding wound care as needed
- Receive appropriate and timely treatment for ulcerations
The staff at NMMC Wound Center and Hyperbarics treats pressure ulcers, trauma wounds, vascular ulcers, diabetic ulcers and other types of chronic wounds.
Services available to Wound Center and Hyperbarics patients include:
- Patient and family education
- Wound care treatment and teaching
- Compression therapy
- Photographic progress report
All Wound Center and Hyperbarics services are provided by a licensed physician and a team of nurses, who are specially trained in wound care and hyperbaric medicine.
The Wound Center and Hyperbarics staff has received training to:
- Identify vascular problems
- Assess leg lesions
- Educate patients and caregivers on wound care
- Identify risk factors
- Educate patients to reduce risk factors
- Provide professional wound care of acute and chronic wounds