North Mississippi Medical Center Hospice is a specialized program of care emphasizing the management of pain and other symptoms (including psychological, emotional, social and spiritual needs) associated with terminal illness. NMMC Hospice was the first licensed hospice in Mississippi in 1984.
NMMC provides hospice services in the home, as well as in a 16-bed inpatient unit in the main hospital.
The Hospice staff provides help for family as well as the patient.
NMMC Hospice provides:
- 24-hour nursing on-call support
- Personal care assistance
- Compassionate, quality health care that enables patients to remain at home with their family
- Family counseling to help a patient’s family cope with terminal illness
- Pastoral support for spiritual care
- Continuous care in crisis situations
- Prescription medication coverage related to terminal illness, with emphasis on pain management
- Medical equipment and supplies as needed for comfort
- Volunteer services including compassion, friendly visiting and running errands
- Respite care
- Bereavement care for 13 months to ease grief and transition
Who is eligible for hospice care?
- A patient whose physician and family choose comfort care.
- A patient with a life-limiting illness whose life expectancy is measured in weeks or months, not years.
- A patient with a primary caregiver who is willing to participate in home care.
Our team includes:
- Personal Care Aides
- Social Workers
Hospice in Long-Term Care Facilities
In addition to at-home care, NMMC Hospice services are also available at:
- Baldwyn Nursing Facility
- Cedars Health Center/The Greenhouses, Tupelo
- Diversicare in Tupelo, Amory, Eupora and Ripley
- Pontotoc Health & Rehab Center
- NMMC-Eupora Nursing Home
- NMMC-Pontotoc Nursing Home
Hospice at these facilities is an ideal option for families who are unable or uncomfortable helping their loved one at home.
Talking about Your Wishes
This workbook was created to help you think about what you would want if you were very sick and could not communicate with your care providers. Not only is it important for you to express your wishes, it is a gift for your family because it takes the emotional burden off of them.
NMMC Hospice covers the following counties in northeast Mississippi: Alcorn, Tippah, Prentiss, Tishomingo, Union, Pontotoc, Lafayette, Lowndes, Lee, Itawamba, Calhoun, Chickasaw, Monroe, Webster, Clay, Choctaw and Oktibbeha.
The North Mississippi Medical Center Home Health and Hospice office is located at 812 Garfield Street in Tupelo.
For more information on Home Health, call (662) 377-3612 or 1-800-852-1610.
Hospice Memorial Service 2021
Each year, our Hospice staff gathers with families for a Hospice Memorial Service to remember loved ones lost over the previous year. Because of the pandemic, this year's Hospice Memorial Service is virtual. We are thankful to each family who allowed us the privilege of caring for your loved one.