The board-certified infectious disease specialists at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo are doctors of internal medicine who are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of infectious diseases. Their extensive training focuses on all kinds of infections, including those caused by bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites, including the treatment of patients with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the cause of AIDS.
Their specialized knowledge also includes the use of antibiotics and their potential adverse effects. Infectious disease specialists also manage immunology (how the body fights infection) and epidemiology (how infections are spread) and infection control. Infectious disease physicians also provide travel health information and immunizations for international travelers, corporations and universities.
Throughout NMMC, our infectious disease experts are available to:
- Ensure strict adherence to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines
- Help maintain a safe hospital and clinic environment for patients and visitors concerning infectious conditions and possible outbreaks
- Offer travel medicine consultations to recommend the appropriate pre-travel vaccinations, write any necessary prescriptions and answer your health questions related to international travel
- Provide specialty in-person and virtual NMMC telehealth visits with patients and referring physicians concerning infectious conditions
- Serve as planning experts for possible scenarios involving potential outbreaks and epidemics