Palliative care at North Mississippi Medical Center-Tupelo is specialized care focused on the relief of pain, stress and other symptoms of serious illness. Palliative care can be delivered at the same time as treatment that is meant to cure.
Palliative care consultation is appropriate when:
- The health care team, patient or family needs help with complex decision-making
- Unacceptable level of pain or other symptom distress
- Unresolved psychosocial or spiritual issues
- Frequent hospital visits for similar problems
- Longer than expected hospital stays
- You are diagnosed with a potentially life-limiting illness like cancer, heart failure, COPD or dementia
What will palliative care do?
- Educate you and your family about treatment options that align with what is important to you
- Work with your other health care providers to make sure you are as comfortable as possible throughout your treatment process
- Advocate for gentle, thoughtful, respectful care for you and your loved one
- Provide expert symptom management for your pain, shortness of breath, nausea, difficulty sleeping, anxiety and depression
How is palliative care different from hospice?
Hospice care is focused on terminally-ill patients who no longer benefit from curative treatments.
Links to Palliative Care Forms
Conversations Before the Crisis
Mississippi Power of Attorney and Advance Directive Form
Alabama Power of Attorney and Advance Directive Form