Case management services, previously known as social work, are available at North Mississippi Medical Center hospitals in Amory, Eupora, Iuka, Pontotoc, Tupelo and West Point, Miss., and Hamilton, Ala. Case managers are usually nurses or social workers. They work closely with patients and their families and caregivers.
Coordination of Patient Care and Services:
- Responsible for the cost-effective assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of case management activities including utilization review and transition of care
- Coordinates the overall interdisciplinary plan of care for a patient from admission to discharge
- Assesses and documents a patient’s progress throughout hospital stay
- Determines patient needs and barriers to disease management.
- Implements appropriate interventions to address identified patient needs and maintain regulatory requirements
- Monitors the patient’s care plan
- Arranges for appropriate post-acute services and durable medical equipment
- Coordinates transition of care as indicated
- Assess the discharge planning needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients
- Educates patient and/or family member(s) to the processes and services provided
- Attends and provides continuing education in-services
- Participates in performance improvement projects, committees and teams
- Communicates patient needs to appropriate sources such as physicians, medical staff, durable medical equipment (DME) companies, home health and hospice staff and nursing home and rehabilitation facilities
- Communicates health care treatment and services that are medically necessary to payors to facilitate medical necessity